Skip to main content

Last.


Sorry for the BAD photos! I must be the last person to make this skirt.. in my defence I made it last winter and didn't finish putting the zip in and hem it (although I had pressed the hem up!). Yep took about 15 minutes... If you don't recognise it it's the Rachel Comey V1247 that many have made. I haven't made the top - even though I like it, I think I have too tiny shoulders to make it work, but if I have nothing else to make up (ha) I will give it a go but without the French seams - I don't have time for fancy insides! I have this cut out (since last summer) in a white and green circles.

For this one I made it without the waistband and drafted some facings. I am short waisted and even without the waistband I feel the yoke of the skirt is at least 3-5 cm too long. The pockets sit (on me) right where my widest part is and accentuates my tummy. I'm wearing it here with the wool unlined jacket  I made a couple of years ago and then it shrank when I washed it (by hand). I got more of this wool last year at the fabric sale I go to so I will make another this year. 

I have a couple of things I want to finish off before I start new projects. 
I have my exams on 17th and 24th June and then I have my graduation ceremony on 24th July and I'd like to make a dress for that. I've been having restful time since last Wednesday and not looking at books or notes but I'm onto next week for my first exam. Wish me luck (I'll need it - International Finance is not more interesting than it sounds! Apologies to those who love finance.)

Comments

Judith said…
Graduation ceremony - a huge congratulations on finishing, well, in just over a month anyway. Then what will you do with all your spare time - I know, more time with that handsome son of yours. Where is your Grad being held at??? And definitely make yourself a beautiful dress for it...my fingers are crossed for your coming exams, but I know you will nail them 100%...J
Suzy said…
Great skirt, love the colour!
Good luck on the upcoming exams!
Summer Flies said…
Thanks Judith, I'm hoping when I am done we might get together again and maybe even work on a fancy Brisbane blogger meet up of our own!
Summer Flies said…
Hi Suzy, Thank you. I've loved a lot of your makes lately too. Been trying hard not to get distracted though!
Gabrielle said…
Your skirt is such a great, vibrant colour! I still haven't made the skirt despite having the pattern and seeing all the rave reviews everywhere. I have made the top though and it doesn't look great on me; I think you're right about the small shoulders issue :).

I hope you have a productive week of studying, and that those last exams go really well for you.
Summer Flies said…
Thank you Gabrielle. I do love the colour too but corduroy isn't the best fabric for this skirt I think. Thanks for your study well wishes.
Marie said…
Good luck with the upcoming exams. Yes, you will have to try to make something new for your graduation, even though you will have to wear a hideous black thing I imagine!

Stalking your blog for news of that annual fabric sale in Sumner Park - have you heard anything? I am not on their mailing list.
Summer Flies said…
Hi Marie, No haven't heard anything yet but I will let you know as soon as I do. I'm kind of glad as I haven't really sewn much but bought a lot of fabric and patterns last year. This year I have stayed right away from shops to finish my degree.
Carol said…
Love, love, love this skirt! The colour is gorgeous. I don't have this pattern at all, so I think you are the second last to make it. Now I've seen yours, I want this pattern. Jacket is cute, too.
Summer Flies said…
Thanks. I'm ridiculously happy with the lovely comments from everyone! I'm happy to post it to you if you want to borrow it. Let me know.
Anonymous said…
Good luck with your exams! And lovely skirt.
Summer Flies said…
Thank you! Hope the baby and Mum are doing well.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...