Skip to main content

Unemployed.

I had my final exam this afternoon, so now I guess officially I am unemployed as opposed to being a student. I think I shall miss the young people and the camaraderie I enjoyed with them the most. Of course learning never stops. 

I'd like to say a few things about studying at my age. Firstly, I don't feel my age.. but I guess none of us do. It has been a wonderful experience. When I started I had NO idea about  programmes like Powerpoint, Excel (still don't really), how to format in word etc but they young people didn't laugh or criticise or make derogatory comments; no they helped me and I couldn't have gone on without their encouragement and support. None of the young people questioned me being there; I was as old or older probably than their parents so it was very encouraging. I supported and helped them but they never let me down and that gives me great hope. I am grateful for being able to go to university at my age and to get an insight into something I didn't do when I was young and this helps me to know what it's all about when my son may choose to go in the future (he wants to be a robotics engineer at this stage). 

I would like to encourage anybody who dreams of getting a qualification or wants a change and a challenge and a great experience, no matter their age, to take the plunge and go follow your dreams. I have gained so much more than just the academic learnings. If I can do it anyone can....you'll never know if you don't have a go.

Sorry I don't even have a photo I can put in here.... I have appointments this week but I do have time in between and my son is at his Dad's place so I hope to get sewing a wearable (hopefully) muslin of a dress for my graduation. I have some sparkly lace or a guipure lace that was my mother's. Either way I need a dress for my graduation ceremony for the 24 July. I have a couple of patterns I may test. Either way I have nothing to wear for anything so I better get onto sewing anything.

Comments

lsaspacey said…
CONGRATS!!! I totally agree with you. I graduated last May at the age of 43, having had a 20-year break between the last time I was in college. It was hard but I got it done which for a while there I didn't think was possible. I still haven't used it to get myself a better paying job (my goal) but I at least know that if I put my mind to it I can get something done. Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...