Skip to main content

Mandy Boat Tee


Before I get to the Mandy Boat tee, this is how much thread was left when I finished my Burda top hemming with the twin needle (which I just realised I haven't photographed... tomorrow).


I put all my used thread spools in this little basket and it builds up very quickly surprisingly. I have another one with spools that have maybe 30 - 60 cm each which I keep for any hand sewing I might do - you know buttons etc.

 I decided to make the Mandy Boat tee from Tessuti. I must be the last person on the sewing planet to make this. It is also my first PDF pattern... not my first download as I have downloaded many free patterns but never felt the need to actually make one till now. Laziness is the main factor but now that I have done it I think, if there aren't too many tiles it is now an option for me.


This is a remnant from the designer fabric sale last year. When I was sewing the neckline with the twin needle and I was too lazy too lazy to use the steam a seam so I put some tissue paper underneath to stop the fabric stretching. This is very stretchy and the first run was a bit stretched out. This helped but wasn't perfect.



I just tore it off the back gently so not to stretch the thread. 


It worked out well. On the hem (which I haven't got a photo of.. sorry) I did use the steam a seam but the hem curled up still and I'm hoping it will calm down after a wash. I did steam it with the iron and that helped but it isn't perfect. All in all, it's a very easy pattern to make up and wear. I love the sleeves but I think it is too wide for me. If I make it again I will take out a couple of cms from the centre of front and back to bring it in a bit. I think it's worth another go.


Lastly, remember this fleece jumper I made and the oil splashed on it and melted dots into it? Well I fixed it. I found a rhinestone press in the 2nd hand shop for $3 a few months ago and while there were some rhinestones left, I used these steel studs that are quite plain and pressed over the burn dots. I love it. It really lifts the jumper and I love the randomness and asymmetry of it. I also love the collar  (and the colour) of this jumper. I've worn this a lot. What do you think?

Comments

Anonymous said…
So, will we get a picture of the new Mandy Boat tee?

Love the silver studs! A great save for the jumper. It's so effective because of the seeming randomness, I think. (I love the colour and collar of it too :-)
Summer Flies said…
Thanks. Yes I'll try and take a photo today of the Mandy Boat Tee. I've got the Burda one to photograph too but there's a little funky thing on one of the sleeves I have to fix.
Anonymous said…
I haven't made the Mandy T yet either! Although I have spent a bit of time checking it out - along with all the other Tessuti goodies. That last jumper looks perfect for these cold days. Very snuggly and warm.
Janine said…
I also vote for a picture! The fabric looks intriguing. I love it when you have just the right amount of thread but I think it has only happened once in 30 years of sewing! Still in that time I have somehow managed to keep my thread stash to just one small bag.

Popular posts from this blog

Trying a vintage togs pattern.

                       Hello, it's been a while again. Not as long as some bloggers who have recently returned to blogging...up to 7 years, but I'm glad people are coming back. I never joined Instagram as I'm not that fussed on 'social media' and more with people who write about their sewing.  So back to sewing. I picked up this vintage McCalls togs pattern. It's quite a good value pattern as there are three very different and interesting swimsuits included. That's pretty rare. It's a size 16. I decided to make view B. All of the patterns have pieces for the bra cups too which is really great. Photographed with it is a Burda beach wrap. I can't find the magazine number right now, but it's at least 10 years old. Basically it's a large square of fabric with arm holes cut out. The fabric is genuine 70s towelling. I know because Mum bought it to cover our 'fantastic plastic' vinyl couch. Vinyl was preferred back then...

Miss Fisher's costumes

Well it has been busy. Working full time doesn't allow for much else especially when there is a child and ageing parents. I haven't made as much as I'd hoped (ha ha do I ever) and the three things I have made I haven't photographed yet. Actually the Burda dress I just finished yesterday. I'm touching a lot of fabric and patterns but I just don't have the brain energy at night so far. This is a panoramic photo my son took from my friend's balcony at Broadbeach. What a view! It's a great spot right across the road from the beach and last week when we went for the weekend there was a great double rainbow that we saw both ends of. You can just make it out in the top left corner.  It was a bit cloudy that day (the next was magnificent - "beautiful one day, perfect the next" - that was the old marketing talk for Queensland a few years ago). Hee hee, then my friend said want to take a weird panoramic photo - sure why not - so while he was t...

Kwik Sew

So recently Spotlight had Kwik Sew patterns - 3 for the price of 1. I don't really need any patterns as I have plenty but some took my fancy and I'm keen to sew some up. I have been really liking the waterfall jackets... I have a Butterick pattern (not mentioned yet but brought over from the US with a friend... that's another post though), a New Look cut out and I liked the length of this Kwik Sew one too. I was seduced by Kristy's beautiful version  of the jacket on the right. Don't expect to see it fitting me so perfectly but it looks nice and easy and it's a bit different and a bit timeless too. I was thinking of sailor type pants but when I saw this shorts pattern, I thought I could make them up and see if they suit and I may be able to lengthen the legs and not have to trace out a Burda one. Not sure how KS patterns fit me as I've only made a dress a while ago now. I have these cut out from a leftover piece that was not enough for anyth...