Skip to main content

Jalie 3242 camo togs.


Last Sunday my sister called at 8am and said come over for lunch and the boys can have a swim. Perfect, except I just remembered, I bought lycra from Pitt Trading for swimming togs for Alex but I hadn't made them yet. I go to aqua aerobics every Sunday at 9am so I dragged out my Jalie 3242 pattern, measured Alex and traced a size T. I was going to use Katherine's (Sew Blooms) tips to change a Jalie into togs for boys but I have a different pattern so with my limited time, I just went with what I had. 

I got them to here before having to go to aqua. I came back at 10.20 and then I finished them off and left the house by 12 noon. I used the coverstitch to do the hems and around the ...middle, but I think this makes them look like undies but I also figured it would keep the seams flat and less aggravating. 


I get this great elastic from Trad's ... it's elastic that's about 2.5 cm wide and it has nylon tie through it, which is perfect for boy's togs. I cut a waistband about 7 cm wide, made an interfaced buttonhole and zigzagged the elastic on through the middle, jutting the edges together. Then I folded it over and zigzagged it on and then flipped it and topstitched with the coverstitch but the straight stitches on the outside.


This is what the waistband looks like on the inside edge with the buttonhole and the tie threaded out of it. I think this was about $3 per metre so pretty good.


The lycra I got from Pitt Trading. It was $20 per metre, very nice quality and something my son liked... he's not too fussed on prints, action heroes or novelty prints, so I snapped it up (along with some other stuff I'll use soon too, show you then) before he could forget that he liked it.  I was also lucky that the overlocker had some blue thread in it and the coverstitch had the grey so that was easy.


Modelled shots. His thoughts: "they fit perfectly!" He was vey happy with them and he said they were very comfortable.


The only thing I changed was to make a centre back seam to make them look more like togs and not undies. I still see undies though and I may pull out the middle coverstitching.


And I couldn't resist taking a photo of this fabric... someone on the bus wearing a knit dress made out of this... this is my kind of animal print (which I don't do). I love pink and grey.

Speaking of grey, I made a dress of Simplicity 8296 today for our work Christmas party tomorrow, so I'll post photos when I have some.  Tiger, tiger burning bright...pink! 😉

Comments

  1. Good job! He'll love those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing feat in such a short time frame! And they look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I love hearing what you think.

Popular posts from this blog

This and that and getting something I've wanted.

There was a little op shop having a sewing stuff sale and I went to it. Really, I do not need anything sewing, but I did buy a few things. A few patterns... why, oh  why.. I have hundreds I want to sell off. I did buy this elastic above for $1. It has a little sticker saying it's old and to be used for bunting but I used it for undies anyway. It's still in excellent condition. There was a red and a another colour too and I wish now I had bought all three.



 I made two pairs. One from a scrap of stretchy satin and the checked one was leftovers from a dress I made a few years ago and it's nice and fine but has a great stretch. It's from The Fabric Store (and I still have some left maybe enough for a top). I used some teal merino scraps for the gusset.



I used the undies from the Noelle set by Madalynne. I used the top for this pattern for some togs for my sister  for Christmas but I didn't use the undies pattern (I used a McCalls one). This is a high waisted panty b


Th…

Anyone used Lekala Patterns

Has anyone used Lekala patterns? There are some seriously great designs there and they are so cheap and they fit to your own size. I mean look at those dresses... I love that one with the folds and that top jacket is just dreamy. The coat at the bottom - just simple clean lines. I'd love to hear if anyone other than Tanit Isis Sews has made any I'd love to hear how it went.

Oh... I have my last lecture and tutorial for this year tomorrow and in two weeks my first (of four) exams... but on the 13 November at 7.30pm I am finished for this year!(But who's counting??)

Gingham skirt

Well I have finally got a chance to take a photo of the gingham skirt that I first talked of making 10 December  2017. I did make it but since, life has been a whirlwind! We had Christmas and all that it entails, my son's Dad went to the UK for 7 weeks where he had to help his elderly parents and just got back on Tuesday. This has curtailed any of everything other than the rat wheel of work, wash, iron, cook, make lunch, some exercise and then wake up and do it all again. I'm tired.

Anyway, this isn't a pity party blog, onto the sewing.


This is the pattern and the fabric again. Cotton 1.5cm check gingham bought at the second hand shop a few years ago for a few bucks. It's a polished cotton and it has a lovely hand... like a rayon but without that slipperiness or that swishyness but does have good drape. 

This is my inspiration skirt. Pretty simple and it cost originally about US$500 and I think when I saw it it was US$300 reduced. What a bargain!




Here's my skirt. …