Skip to main content

Sewing all the tops...


So I've been sewing some tops. This Simplicity 8296 was one of the ones my friend brought back for me from the States. I also got the McCall's one but I like this flat front band and the McCalls is a different cut and not as wide around the hips where I need it.  This has a dart too and that's useful for me too.


The top is made from a remnant my friend gave me a few years ago. It's a lovely soft beautiful, good quality cotton. It was easy to sew and a it's lovely to wear. I've got my ordinary bra on with the straps on my arms. I couldn't be bothered to wear the strapless. I was just off to vote.  All I can think is I am wearing something that is actually in fashion... I always seem to be out of kilter.


This is the back view. I've always loved peasant tops/dresses. I think they are a snap to sew and easy to wear and flattering for a larger bust.  I think the bra is really letting me down. My only daily bra died after being washed and worn for a year... yes I know, disgusting however you don't know how many hours I have spent looking to buy another/more. Something that fits my very small under bust measurement for my large cup size. I'm into making up some at the moment but haven't got too far yet, but I will conquer it.


This lovely little top pattern I have made before in View A. View C is what I've made here below and I saw some in Gorman in a very similar front. I really like the back view. It's very easy.


I had my son take some photos and when he was taking this one he stopped and made sure the bottom of the top was sitting straight... isn't he sweet!  I thought I was really clever and cut a little curved wedge of the top corner of the top at the armscye to narrow it which did work a treat except that the front was so wide it puckers and is just too wide. That's ok as I was testing it in this really lovely rayon that come from my Mum's old stash, but unfortunately it has some stain marks (very few) and some holes so no harm done. Good enough for doing jobs in the garden and staying cool (ha ha..no jobs get done in the garden... but maybe in the holidays, it really needs it!).

You can see here how the front doesn't fit. I did use the bodice part of McCalls 7542 as it has the cup sizes so maybe that's why it's too big.. but I used that at the side seams to get a quick FBA of sorts. 


This next one was cut out of some material I got from an op shop which was a table cloth I think or something like that.. could have been a dress or skirt too. I liked the colours and seersucker is cool. Still too wide but this is more stable fabric and I don't mind it so much. If you notice there was two really large pockets so I used them on the front but it's not like I'm going to use them... like I need more bulk there. What was I thinking! Maybe I'll take them off?


The back has a little frill. This is more because I didn't have enough length. I thought it may look silly but I don't mind it. The pants I'm wearing are some RTW rayon twill that were reasonably priced at $20 and I've worn them a lot the last year.


This was a nice surprise in the mail this week too. The Family Ottobre. I am pleased with this as it has all the basics.. undies, singlet top, shirt, t-shirt, 2 styles of pants (chino and jeans), a sweatshirt, zip up hoodie and a dressing gown. My Burda patterns won't fit my son after this year so this will be my go to and I can add and remove different design elements for a range of size 46-60 European sizes (whatever that translates to).


I need to use my Ottobre magazines more.. I think I've only made 3 things and two I made ages ago and didn't blog. Next is the Simplicity off shoulder pattern in a dress to wear to my work Christmas party next Friday. Last Christmas my son gave me a Spotlight voucher and I bought some rayon that I loved and it will be made out of that. After that who knows. And of course there is Christmas coming too. What's on everyone's sewing table (or messy room as it is for me..LOL!).

Comments

Sarah Liz said…
I love that little back frill - quite unexpected and it really does work well. And your off the shoulder is gorgeous too. I use my less than wonderful garments for house and garden jobs too - I hate waste, and it still looks very reasonable.
Vanessa said…
I have that S8296 pattern! Yours looks great! You have done well sewing tops! Also, I LOVE Ottobre!!! That family issue is amazing, though I ended my subscription for now to do a fabric club instead.
Patricia said…
I like your check off-the-shoulder very much too. It is cute and perfect for Summer. The little back frill on the third top is a clever fix, a good one to remember. What a thoughtful photographer is you boy, making sure things are straight. There should be more of that around here...
Totally love that plaid top! Love the back detail, takes it from nice to Extra Nice!
katherine h said…
Your garden is beautiful. I hope you get to spend some time in it these holidays. You'll have nice cool tops for gardening!

The off the shoulder top looks lovely on you.

I'm not sure why you are having trouble commenting on my blog...if you find it is something I need to change, let me know!

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit