Skip to main content

Vena Cava Vogue 1228


I made this Vena Cava Vogue 1228 (sorry I don't have a photo of the pattern) out of some fabric I got at The Spoolette High Tea - maybe the second one.... anyone recognise it? I'm not often drawn to but but I like the pattern and it's mostly navy. It's a polyester chiffon but it's quite nice and it was easy to work with.

I cut it out last year and had it in a bag... it's such an easy pattern I'm not really sure why it took me so long but probably by the time I got to it, it was out of season and then forgotten and shuffled around in the sewing room. After the coat I really wanted something quick and I really didn't want to cut anything out. I had a Lekala cut and half done too, but couldn't bring myself to finish it (it's done now.. that'll be the next post).


I do remember Up Sew Late had made a couple and so I read up and garnered that the top was very low. I am about 15cm shorter than Gabrielle (I think she is about 175cm and I'm 160ish) so if she needed to pull up the neckline I would for sure... basically it's the pleat at the front made a little deeper. I made French seams which really was quicker than threading the overlocker. If I had the overlocker threaded in a dark colour I would have been lazy, no doubt about it, but it was threaded in the fuchsia of the coat so I didn't dare as the fabric is a bit transparent. In actual fact French seams are really quick and this had no tricky bits to slow me down. I didn't add the sleeve cuffs although I had cut them out. As you can see I don't need them... my T-Rex arms are barely there as is.  The fringing on the bottom is from some fringing my sister found in her op shop finds. It is excellent quality cotton   fringing (? well it's natural fibre if not cotton - burn test result). I did a burn test first, then a wash test and it didn't shrink and it was good as new. I have a lovely red and a twisted fringe in an off white so there may be more fringing around. I really like it. It dances as I walk. I feel it really elevates this dress and I really love wearing it.

I was not sure this would suit me but I feel good in it and it fits really well. I think I made a 10 in the shoulders and graded out for my hips. It really fits at the back too with no sway back adjustment so WIN.  There is no photo of the back - my photographer isn't interested in back and side views - he feels one is enough.... sheesh! I hope to make more soon. Thanks to the Spoolette who donated the fabric. The pattern was an op shop find from my considerable stash (that is so big now I am getting mentally prepared to put them up for sale on Etsy as I won't sew with them all and some I don't like for me but loved the artwork and/or style). I'll let you know though as I have some great patterns and they will be priced to find a new loving home.... just don't hold your breath - it's on the bottom of the to-do list).

Also as this fabric is transparent, I needed a slip. I had a remnant of the softest navy rayon about a metre long. I used Burda 2711. It's just 2 pieces and the front has a dart. That's it poking out at the top of the dress... I don't like that but it's probably good for work. I do love this pattern and I shall use it to make a linen dress from it too. My own 'Ogden' if you will, it's so similar (I mean really it's so basic I couldn't bear to spend USD$14 or whatever for such a basic pattern). I didn't have enough fabric to  do anything more fancy. I had to straighten the sides a little to fit the fabric I had. I ran some pre-made bias binding and then added some straps. It's perfect and so comfy. I did wear a slip I made from a Style Arc pattern, but it was made with a synthetic fabric and it was SO hot.. wearing two plastic bags.


I am also making some more shorts for my son using Burda 9965 (no photo). The fabric I bought for a few dollars in Toowoomba in September when we went to the Carnival of Flowers. I was really please with my sewing of the back pocket.. finished and snipped the threads... then I saw this....


Do you see what's happened? I had both pieces of the back together and so I had to unpick the pocket and do it all again. Rats! They are waiting for zip/fly and waistband and they'll be done. Burda shorts are a really great fit for boys.

Next I'll talk about my first Lekala experience.  Oh and thanks everyone for the very lovely comments on my coat. I'm really chuffed 😊.

Comments

Patricia said…
You have been busy! The dress is a triumph, very cool and trendy. I love that Burda for an underslip - I could really do with a pattern like that (will check if it is still in print). Brave you are for making boys shorts, and they are cute as. As I only have grandsons (no girls) I should get that Burda and make and effort. I really should, he he. Happy sewing.
Vanessa said…
I love the dress on you!! I also love seeing the progress of your son's shorts. Never mind the error that made you unpick the pocket and do it again--if I took pics during my process I would have lots of re-dos. Though my re-dos this year are getting slightly less in amount, lol! I am excited about your Lekala pattern. I tried one of theirs before but it didn't come out too good. I hope yours is awesome!
katherine h said…
That dress is a different look for you, but I really like it. I have that Burda pattern, but forgot about it, and drafted my own version of an Ogden...also did not want to pay for a cami pattern that I would have to alter for fit. As for sewing mistakes...I just made a plaid shirt for the PR sewing comp and as I was sewing the buttons on I realised that I have sewn one of the sleeves on inside out. I think I am going to leave it though, as you have to look really closely to tell.
Janine said…
Ooh , the dress looks lovely . Somehow I think your sewing skills are what made sewing with chiffon easy because I find it a PITA to sew with ! I agree about the cami , I have several which look the same as the Ogden in my burda mags and a New Look pattern as well.
McVal said…
Such a great dress! LOVE that fringe!

Popular posts from this blog

The saddest dress, then a few more.

Well hello. It's been a while. It was 8 months from the last post to the previous one to that and it's a bit longer this time. The last day I wrote was 10 Jul 2021. On 12 July my son and I were finally seeing Tim Minchin  after booking it before we went to Europe at the end of 2019. It was going to be April 2020, but changed a few times and although it was a school night (year 12 for Alex) we went for dinner and sat in the show. My Mum had gone to hospital that morning and my sister was still at the hospital with her. Just after interval I got a message on my phone, "get to the hospital now". So we raced out and to the hospital where. although it was a lockdown and no visitors allowed, all 10 of us were allowed to see Mum as she was end of life. I won't go into the whole thing but Mum didn't die that night, but because of lockdown, we were not allowed to go and see her until a week and a half later when we were allowed just to discuss palliative care. By the n

Bubble O'Bill: take 2; bikinis

With some time at home, I've been sewing a bit lately and I finally had time to make the bikinis for my son's girlfriend for her birthday. I cut them out in February from some scrap fabric my friend gave me. I made my son some swimmers   and I see someone has some for sale if you feel you are missing out 😆.   I had to piece together the bikinis as I had nearly nothing left over. I made the top back and the briefs from the free Madelynne Noelle pattern and the front top from another Madelynne pattern I can't find a link for it but was Mallory Lane. It's a basic top with scrappy back. If anyone wants it I have the download. Looks like it's not available any more.  All this piecing and mixing was purely from fabric limitations. The other fabric I mixed it with was ombre from aqua blue to purple and matched well. I asked Liv if she wanted a frill down the centre front to break up the print as I wasn't sure she would, but she loved the idea, so on the went. She tr

Emergency Rashie KS2600

I go to aqua aerobics 3 or 4 times a week and I like to wear a rashie as it's outdoor and it's a bit warmer in the (not very cold usually but really warm this) winter, and I can't reach the spots for sunscreen. In Brisbane you must wear sunscreen every day even in winter as we have the highest skin cancer rates in the world and I don't want to be any more wrinkly than I am! Anyway, I went to the Gold Coast to see my friend for a few days and I left my rashie at her place and I she wouldn't get to Brisbane for a few days so I pulled out KS 2600. I saw this pattern listed on a pattern site and then became obsessed with it till I got it but this is my first chance to try it. Isn't it lovely! I wanted to test it to see how the fit was. I've made McCall's 7417 a few times but it's long between the shoulder and the arm for me and even though I have made a few it wasn't ever a great fit but it is a quick sew. The pants on the McCall's is a good fit